Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Elder Allen Week#9 First things first, 2 HOUR CHURCH!!! What!?!? I never thought that rumor would actually be a reality...
Second things second... That's about the only thing I got out of conference. Because of the Elections here, we couldn't use the chapel to watch conference, so we had to watch at the member's houses. Bad internet connection, loud children, and a few words in English then overdubbed by sophisticated Spanish does not make for a good learning environment. Luckily, I just downloaded the sessions in English. So next week I'll have a whole lot more to talk about I'm sure. 
Did I mention that I get to go to the temple on Wednesday?  Then on October 20th, The Prophet, President Russel M. Nelson is having a devotional with all the Lima missionaries on his way to the Arequipa Temple dedication? No? Well that's happening... hehe
The week was good. It went by really fast it felt like. 
Some drunk guys bought us some ritz and pulp, that was fun. barachos are funny. We contacted a guy, taught him a bit, to find out that He's a Buddhist, and said that even if we were right, he still wouldn't change. So that was fun. 
We went to one of the people we're teaching house, and he was super busy with his Jean making job. So we made Jeans with him for an hour. His name is Ciro, he's 21, and a really cool guy. He's not really progressing, unfortunately. 
I taught my first English class, that was fun. My lesson was planned around grammar, but what was really taught was Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, and pronunciation, so that's fun. 
Gerardo Valencia, who has been delaying baptism for two years, should be getting baptized this week. I'm not really sure though. He has a lot of doubts, but we're trying to teach him it's time to stop delaying and just take a step in the dark, to have that faith. The first time I heard him speak, I thought to myself, if I can understand him by the end of my mission I will have made good progress with my Spanish. He is so hard to understand. But hey, guess what?! I understand him now! A few weeks later! The gift of tounges is real everybody!
We went to a baptism for Camilla (Every girl under 15 here is named Camilla), who is a 9-year-old the other Companionship in the District taught. We were there 3 hours. She is terrified of water. And when she finally got under, It was only barely. And I mean barely. It was a miracle from God because if she didn't get under, I'm sure she wouldn't have tried again. But it's all good because her testimony after was so strong. She has a lot of faith for being so young. 
My favorite people of the week would have to be Louis and Francis. Louis is Venezuelan, and is working here, and trying to raise enough money to get his wife and 2 kids here as well. I'm sure you've all heard about the financial crisis in Venezuela, so yeah, there are a lot of them here. But they're so humble, so ready for the gospel. Especially Louis. He's got so much faith in our Savior. And Francis is a friend of Davie, he's awesome. He's a little bit of a character, and he was in a gunfight a few months ago. 6 bullet holes. He's pretty cool. A lot of things he'll have to change, but I think he can do it, he has a lot of faith as well. 
As always, I'll leave with some spiritual thoughts. 
First thing I learned this week was from Jesus the Christ chapter 3 notes, Judgement is based on circumstances. And that hit me hard. A lot of people in this world don't know where the light is, and they can't be judged as harshly because of that. That's a Just God. But, I and a lot of you are very privileged people. Good families, sufficient money, and the knowledge of the Gospel. I take this information to mean that we, I, have to be a lot better. I have some serious things that I need to change if I want to stand before my God guilt free.
I've also been studying what it means to serve with all my Heart. And what I've concluded, is that its the deepest desires, and intentions of your heart. There are a lot of factors that change how we act and who we are in certain situations, but the heart manifests itself in the small things. In the exact obedience. And the only way to change your heart is to develop a real and personal relation with the Lord Jesus Christ, and that is done by using His gift to us, the Atonement.
One last thing, Spiritual Gifts are real. And If we want more, we need to use and develop the ones we have. But also, we need to show gratitude for the ones that we have. Which means we have to know what they are. And I'm very, very bad at recognizing the things I am good at. So if you're like me, really think and give thanks for what you have. Ask someone what your gifts are if that helps. 
I know it's very out of my nature, but I really haven't been taking any photos. It's really pretty here with the lights at night, but it's too sketchy to go take some photos. Lo Siento. 
And wow! It's been a crazy week back at home! Congrats to Cam and Sav! And to Aaron and Colton! 
I love you guys with all my heart and soul, and I'm praying for every one of you. I love hearing from you! Keep it up! Hasta la Proxima Semana! 

Elder Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment